There’s nothing better than coming home to a home-cooked meal. Not only are delicious meals great for our well-being, but they’re also a great way to get together with friends and family. Cooking can help you relieve stress and keep you focused. But that’s not all! Cooking for yourself and loved ones also give you a sense of accomplishment since even simple meals require time, planning, and effort.
The days of cooking elaborate meals using ingredients that I learned about in culinary school are long gone. These days, it’s much more common to find those new to cooking overwhelmed by all of the cookbooks, recipes, and cooking techniques that are available. While there are some complex dishes that a real chef may be interested in making, there are simple, easy recipes that anyone can make. For beginners, these five recipes are easy enough for anyone to make but delicious enough for even the most sophisticated palate.
- Spicy Asian Ramen Noodles – With just a little bit of practice, whipping up a bowl of ramen noodles is one of the simplest and most satisfying meals you can make. Ramen noodles are usually prepared in a spicy broth, but if you’re a beginner cook, that could be intimidating. Instead, try making the broth from scratch and then just adding noodles and veggies, as we did with this spicy Asian ramen recipe. This spicy Asian ramen is easy to make and incredibly delicious with only four ingredients.
- Baked Denver Omelet – Have you ever been stuck in the kitchen while dinner is burning, or you simply have no desire to eat? We’ve been there, too. Some nights, we just want to order takeout. But on nights like this, you absolutely do not want to drive 30 minutes or more just to eat. Instead, let’s make a healthy dinner. Baked omelets are one of the easiest meals to make. They are easy to customize, easy to bake, and easy to clean up. Plus, they are packed with protein, vitamins, minerals, fiber and are easy to make.
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry – Curry is a staple dish in many cultures because it’s a dish that can be prepared and eaten in many different ways. Our top five easiest curries for beginner cooks include vegan sweet potato chickpea curry; a vegan black bean and black rice vegetarian bowl; a Moroccan chickpea tagine; a Moroccan chicken tagine, and a vegan black bean and black rice vegetarian bowl.
- Ravioli Lasagna – Ravioli Lasagna is a staple in most pasta lovers’ diets. It is relatively easy to prepare, and there are many ways to substitute ingredients to customize this pasta dish. This recipe is quick and easy, making it a great recipe for someone just starting in the culinary world. It is also a crowd-pleaser, as most people enjoy the taste of a traditional lasagna.
- Cheater’s Skillet Paella – Paella (“paella” means “pan” or “pot” in Spanish) is traditionally a Spanish rice dish. It is typically full of seafood and chicken, and there are as many variations of paella as there are cooks. It’s always a crowd favorite and is easy to prepare for beginners.
The first time you cook a meal, you may feel like an inexperienced rookie. Cooking is fun, though, and it can be a great bonding experience with friends and family. Cooking your own food can be healthy, quick, and economical, and put it another way, cooking your own food allows you to avoid eating processed foods.
So many people are intimidated by cooking. It doesn’t have to be complicated. Once you learn a few simple techniques, you’ll realize that it’s really pretty fun.